The Closed Heart
Heart Disease Awareness
Heart disease was a relevant subject of research at the University of Minnesota in the 1940s. In October of 1947 the Minnesota Heart Association was established to raise money for heart research as well as to promote heart health throughout the state.
In 1945, the Variety Club of Minneapolis, a service organization of members of the entertainment industry, established a fund approved by the Board of Regents for the construction of a hospital that specialized in heart treatment. The Variety Club eventually raised over $250,000 to build the Variety Club Heart Hospital and promised an additional $25,000 in annual support. On March 20, 1951, the University of Minnesota opened the first hospital in the nation that focused solely on the treatment and prevention of diseases of the heart.